Nystatin swish and swallow is an oral suspension that is used to treat oral thrush.The active ingredient of this product is nystatin and a common brand name isMycostatin.
Can nystatin be bought over the counter? Unfortunately no. Nystatin is an antifungal prescription drug that comes in different preparations, depending on the condition being treated. It is often used to treat candidiasis or yeast infections that cause oral thrush, vaginal yeast infections, diaper rash, and other infections.
Nystatin swish and swallow oral suspension works directly upon contact on the lining of the mouth. Unlike most oral medications that work after being swallowed and absorbed through the bloodstream, every Nystatin swish and swallow dose must stay in the mouth for a while to be effective.
How to Use Nystatin Oral
Before using, you must shake the bottle well then use the medication dropper provided to carefully measure out a nystatin swish and swallow dose. Unless instructed to do otherwise, you may use the medication as follows:
- Take half a dose in one side of your mouth.After takingnystatin, swish and spit, or swallow if preferred. Let the liquid suspension swish around your mouth and gargle, keeping it in your mouth as long as you can possibly hold it.
- Repeat the process with the remaining dose on the other side of your mouth.
- Avoid eating right after taking this medication.
- Use four times daily or as directed by your physician. You may need to use it for several days to months to completely heal the infection. For best results, use nystatin swish and swallow regularly, preferably at the same time each day. Nystatin swish and swallow dose is based on your condition and your body’s response to treatment.
Continue using this medication until your prescription is consumed, even if your symptoms get better after a short time. If you stop taking it too early, your infection may continue or return after initial symptoms improve.
Tell your doctor if your symptoms persist several days after treatment or if they worsen with time.
What About Other Forms of Nystatin?
Some patients may try taking the powdered form of nystatin. Here’s how to use it:
- Add ⅛ teaspoonful of nystatin powder to about 4 oz water and stir well.
- Using small portions at a time, take nystatin, swish and spit, or swallow. Repeat until the full dose is consumed.
If you are taking the pastille or lozenge form:
- Hold the nystatin lozenge in the mouth and allow to slowly dissolve until completely gone. It may take 15-30 minutes. Swallow the saliva, but avoid chewing or swallowing the lozenge whole.
- Do not allow infants or young children to use nystatin pastilles since they may choke on these.
If you have dentures, you may need to soak your dentures every night in nystatin to eliminate fungal growth in the dentures. If this does not eliminate fungal growth, you may need to get new dentures.
Nystatin swish and swallow dose will vary for every patient. Follow the doctor's prescription or the directions printed on the label. If your dosing is different from the average dosages listed below, do not alter it without your doctor’s advice.
The amount of medication you take may depend on the strength of your medicine. Remember that the number of daily doses, the time interval between doses, and the duration of use you are prescribed may depend on your specific medical problem.
Dose for Nystatin swish and swallow:
- Children ages 5 years and older to Adults: Take 4-6 mL (about one teaspoonful) four times daily.
- Older infants: Use 2 mL four times daily.
- Premature / low-birth-weight babies: Use 1 mL four times daily.
If you forget to take a dose ofNystatin swish and swallow, take one as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for the next dose, disregard the missed dose and continue with your regular schedule, but don’t take double doses.
- Keep your medicine in room temperature. Keep it away from moisture, heat, or direct light. Do not freeze it.
- Keep medications out of children’s reach.
- Store lozenges (pastilles) in the refrigerator.
Are There Side Effects?
Most people do not experience significant side effects while using Nystatin swish and swallow. However, tell your doctor if these common side effects become persistent or worse:
- Mouth irritation
- Nausea or vomiting
- Stomach upset
See your doctor right away if these serious, but rare side effects appear:
- Muscle pain
- Fast heartbeat
- Serious allergic reaction: trouble breathing, itching, rash, swelling of the face/throat/tongue, and severe dizziness.
Report these side effects to FDA (1-800-FDA-1088).
Precautions for Taking Nystatin Oral
- Before using nystatin, inform your doctor/pharmacist if you have allergies to it or to any other drugs and food. Nystatin swish and swallow may also contain some inactive ingredients, which may cause allergies or certain problems.
- Inform your doctor/ pharmacist if you have diabetes, HIV disease, kidney disease and other details about your medical history.Nystatin swish and swallow preparations contain sugar, which may not be safe for diabetic patients.
- If you are using dentures, clean them properly during treatment.
- Talk to your doctor before using this medication if you are pregnant or lactating.