The active ingredient in Primolut N tablet is Norethisterone. It is a synthetic form of progesterone, a hormone that naturally occurs during sex. Primolut is used for a variety of menstrual related disorders.
Progesterone is the hormone responsible for the formation of the endometrium in women, which is the womb lining that forms in preparation for pregnancy. Norethisterone can perform the same function of formation and shedding of the endometrium.
What Are the Uses of Primolut N Tablet?
A Primolut tablet contains Norethisterone, which is the synthetic form of Progesterone that is used in the treatment of Endomentriosis and menstrual dysfunction. The tablet also contains magnesium stearate, maize starch and lactose monohydrate. Primolut N tablet is used in the treatment of numerous conditions that occur due to the lack of progesterone. These include:
- Menstrual disorders like secondary amenorrhoea (occurs when menstrual periods stop, they skip a cycle or they are irregular), menorrhagia (occurs when the menstrual flow does not stop and is heavy), dysmenorrhea (this means very painful periods), premenstrual syndrome, which is inclusive of cyclical Mastopathy (occurs when you get tender breasts or they swell before periods), abnormal or dysfunctional uterine bleeding occurring when then the cycle is on-going and not at the end.
- Endometriosis is also treated using Primolut N. Endometriosis is the growth of endometrium outside the uterine walls, which leads to bleeding and pain.
- Primolut also changes your menstrual timing in order to take care of irregular cycles.
How to Take Primolut N Tablet
Depending on the disorder in question, Norethisterone is taken on specific days of your menstrual cycle.
- How should I take Primolut N?
Primolut N should be taken with a full glass of water with food or without, once, twice or thrice in a day. Depending on the problem being treated and the doctor’s recommendation, you will know how much you should take, how often, and when during the cycle. Primolut N tablets should be taken for several cycles as prescribed by your doctor.
- How long should I take Primolut N?
This depends on your doctor's recommendation. However, it should be taken for several cycles.
- What should I do if I miss a dose of Primolut N?
Do not be tempted to take a double dose. If you skip one dose, then take it there and then.
- How do I store Primolut N?
Keep the tablet in its original packaging until it is time to take it. The pills should be stored in a cool dry place.
What Are the Side Effects of Primolut N Tablet?
Some of the commonly reported side effects include:
- Hirsutism (excessive growth of hair)
- Hair loss
- Itching or rashes
- Adding weight
- Discomfort of the breasts
- Fluid retention in the tissues
- Change in libido (sex drive)
- Changes in the menstrual cycle
If you experience the following, stop taking the medicine and consult your doctor:
- Pain when breathing
- Sudden loss of breath
- Serious chest pain
- Interfered vision, hearing or speech
- Fainting or collapsing
- Increased sugar levels or blood pressure
- Swelling of one leg or stabbing pain
- Coughing or coughing blood
- Loss of appetite, darkened urine or yellowing of skin and eyes, which can indicate liver problems
Precautions for Taking Primolut N Tablet
You should take caution of the following:
- Thromboembolism (clotting of blood in vessels)
- History of migraines
- Heart failure
- History of depression
- Decreased functioning of the kidney
- Decreased functioning of the liver
Primolut N should not be taken in the case of the following:
- Suspicion or knowledge of pregnancy
- Dysfunctional vaginal bleeding
- Serious diseases of the arteries like heart attacks
- In case of thrombosis
- Problems with excess secretion of bile
- History or current condition of liver tumors, liver disease or jaundice
- Porphyrias- hereditary blood disorder
- If you are going for surgery in 6 weeks
- If you are lactose or galactose intolerance
For further information on Primolut N tablet such as Primolut N dosage for different conditions, visit this link.