Sjogren’s syndrome is an immune system disorder which is characterized by dry mouth and dry eyes, the most well-known symptoms of this disorder. Sjogren’s syndrome targets the moisture producing glands and mucous membranes of the mouth and eyes. This results in the decline of the saliva and tears production. People suffering from Sjogren’s syndrome usually suffer from lupus and rheumatoid arthritis as well which are also immune system disorders. Since it does not have a cure, the treatment for this condition is to alleviate Sjogren's Syndrome symptoms.
Sjogren's Syndrome Treatment— General Rules
First and foremost, patients should eat a healthy Sjogren's syndrome diet. Experts recommend that patients of Sjogren's syndrome should stay away from animal and milk products as much as possible and eat a high carbohydrate and low protein diet. Make sure that you do not consume any polyunsaturated oils and perform aerobic exercises on a regular basis. Practicing mind-body techniques and progressive relaxation methods like hypnosis and visualization can help in controlling autoimmune responses such as Sjogren's syndrome. Go for traditional Chinese healing methods like acupuncture and energy works.
Sjogren's Syndrome Treatment— Home Remedies
1. Lubricate the Eyes
Making use of artificial tears or eye lubricants can help you in relieving some of the discomfort that you would have to face because of dryness in the eyes. Artificial tears are a much better option though since they do not cause irritation in the eyes.
2. Prevent Harm to the Eyes or Drying Them
You can also protect your eyes by wearing goggles and avoid sitting in front of fans or air-conditioning vents. This is going to keep your eyes from getting dry. Moreover, installing a humidifier in your home and increasing the humidity level can also help you in avoiding the issue of dry eyes.
3. Drink Enough Water
Drinking a healthy amount of water can minimize the dryness you are feeling in your mouth. Since you can no longer produce saliva and are more vulnerable to cavities, it is best that you avoid eating sweets. Try eating sugarless gum or drinking lemon water as much as possible, as both of them can boost saliva production.
4. Use Nasal Spray
Nasal saline sprays can open up your nasal airways and make it possible for you to breathe through your nose instead of your mouth. Artificial saliva products can also come in handy when dealing with a dry mouth.
5. Pay Attention to Oral Health
Since Sjogren's syndrome increases your chances of getting cavities and tooth decay it is best that you keep good care of your oral health. Brush your teeth and floss them on a regular basis after each meal. Visit your dentist every 6 months to make sure that your teeth are in good health. Making use of antimicrobial mouthwashes can also help you in enhancing your oral health.
6. Moisturize Your Skin
If you suffer from dry skin as well, then making use of skin moisturizers can prove to be beneficial especially when the skin is damp. Home cleaning and dishwashing should be done wearing rubber gloves. Avoiding hot water for bathing purposes can also help you in avoiding the discomforts that dry skin as well.
Sjogren's Syndrome Treatment— Medical Treatments
- Salagen and Evoxac can help you increasing the production of saliva in your mouth and tears in your eyes. However, there are side-effects of these drugs as well which include flushing, sweating, frequent urination and abdominal pain.
- If you are diagnosed with arthritis along with Sjogren's syndrome then making use of NSAIDs and arthritis medication can benefit you.
- Antifungal medications can help you in treating the yeast infections that may occur in your mouth.
- Plaquenil, the drug that is used for treating malaria can be used for treating Sjogren's syndrome as well.
- Methotrexate which suppresses the immune system can also be used to relieve the symptoms of this condition as well.
- Surgical procedures like punctal occlusion can help in treating the issues of dry eyes permanently as well. More advice on Sjogren's syndrom treatment, especially home remedies: